Episode 99

The Murder of Mary Morgan Pewitt, Part 2

July 19, 2021   Tags: , ,
Apple Podcasts
Billy and Paul continue to look into the murder of Mary Morgan Pewitt. On Saturday, June 4th, 1988, her body was discovered in Comanche, Oklahoma. Mary's daughter Kira wonders if more than one person could be responsible. She has continued her grandfather's investigation into her mother's death by reaching out to the Murder Squad.   

The Murder of Mary Morgan Pewitt:
25-year-old Mary Morgan Pewitt went to her 13th day of work at Harold's Club on Friday, June 3rd, 1988. Her mother Elizabeth picked up Mary's two daughters--7-year-old Kira and 6-year-old Amber--that afternoon. Elizabeth would return the girls first thing in the morning before a meeting she had. 

Mary went to work. When the bar closed at midnight, she gathered the receipts and monies from that night, then she drove to the bar owner’s house and dropped them off. It's possible her boyfriend Randy Benson was with her at the time. However, his story later changed that he met Mary at her home. 

According to Benson, he spent about an hour with Mary before returning home. He said he went home to play video games with his son. 

Elizabeth and the girls arrived at the home around 6 AM. They were unable to enter the home. That’s when Amber climbed on the planter. From that vantage point, she could see inside her mother Mary’s bedroom. Two large windows made up the side of the room. Amber said, “she’s covered in blood.”

Comanche police entered the home. It was reported there was no sign of forced entry but this was hard to truly discern. The side door--which opened on to a gravel road not far from the school--didn’t have a lock. As a matter of fact, at the time, it was held closed with a bungee cord. And the windows Amber saw her mom through? The family would later learn they push open almost in a garage door style. 

Law enforcement then made it to Mary’s room. The radio was on, but nothing was playing. The cassette deck was open. Mary was on her waterbed with a bloody sheet shielding most of her body other than her head. She was still wearing a yellow, purple, and blue t-shirt and white ankle-high socks. The bed had been punctured during the attack.  

The offender stabbed Mary at least 27 times according to the autopsy report. 13 of those injuries were in the chest. Eight were concentrated around her neck. Mary showed signs of fighting back.

The autopsy noted there were no signs of sexual assault. 

The Family Investigation:
Kira's grandfather David retired from his job to go back to school for criminal justice. He couldn’t let the murder of his daughter go unsolved. He visited the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigations every week for more information.

David continued to work on the case. He took extensive notes on parts of the crime that bothered him. 

He made mention of the lack of cigarettes near his daughter. David said that Mary had to be asleep, otherwise she was smoking. He also wrote about how her car wasn't parked in the usual manner.  

Both Kira and her grandfather note that Mary was a spitfire. She wouldn't have gone down without a fight. This passion has led Kira to wonder if two people were responsible for her mother's death. In her mind there are three options--one of her mother's ex-husbands, the local bad guy and the local drug dealer.  

Kira promised her grandfather should continue to look for her mother's killer or killers. In 2016, Kira and her sister were finally asked to provide DNA and their palm prints to the OSBI. It's not clear exactly what forensic evidence is present, but clearly there is some.

To learn more about the official investigation, please read The Murder of Mary Morgan Pewitt, Part 1.

25-year-old Mary Pewitt was killed sometime after she returned home after midnight on June 4th, 1988. Her house was located on 10th Street in Comanche, Oklahoma. There is no shortage of suspicious characters in this case. We are looking for any information on the case. Her daughter Kira is doing a wonderful job making noise and trying to get answers, and we want the Murder Squad to help her.

If you have any information, please contact us.


1. Do not name names publicly. Send everything to the police or to this page and we will forward to the police. 
2. Do not post side by side photos.
3. Do not contact any family members. 
4. Do not doxx each other and be civil. We all want the same thing. 

As tips come in, Jensen and Holes will work to verify them. If they look good, we will publish them here to try and get us closer to their names.