Episode 98

The Murder of Mary Morgan Pewitt, Part 1

July 12, 2021   Tags: , ,
Apple Podcasts
On Saturday, June 4th, 1988, the body of Mary Morgan Pewitt was discovered by her two young daughters and her mother in Comanche, Oklahoma. The case has no shortage of persons of interest--three ex-husbands, a new boyfriend, and many admirers. But after 33 years with no answers, her oldest daughter Kira asked the Murder Squad for help.  

The Murder of Mary Morgan Pewitt:
25-year-old Mary Morgan Pewitt went to her 13th day of work at Harold's Club on Friday, June 3rd, 1988. Her mother Elizabeth picked up Mary's two daughters--7-year-old Kira and 6-year-old Amber--that afternoon. Elizabeth would return the girls first thing in the morning before a meeting she had. 

Mary went to work. When the bar closed at midnight, she gathered the receipts and monies from that night, then she drove to the bar owner’s house and dropped them off. It's possible her boyfriend Randy Benson was with her at the time. However, his story later changed that he met Mary at her home. 

According to Benson, he spent about an hour with Mary before returning home. He said he went home to play video games with his son. 

Elizabeth and the girls arrived at the home around 6 AM. They were unable to enter the home. That’s when Amber climbed on the planter. From that vantage point, she could see inside her mother Mary’s bedroom. Two large windows made up the side of the room. Amber said, “she’s covered in blood.”

Comanche police entered the home. It was reported there was no sign of forced entry but this was hard to truly discern. The side door--which opened on to a gravel road not far from the school--didn’t have a lock. As a matter of fact, at the time, it was held closed with a bungee cord. And the windows Amber saw her mom through? The family would later learn they push open almost in a garage door style. 

Law enforcement then made it to Mary’s room. The radio was on, but nothing was playing. The cassette deck was open. Mary was on her waterbed with a bloody sheet shielding most of her body other than her head. She was still wearing a yellow, purple, and blue t-shirt and white ankle-high socks. The bed had been punctured during the attack.  

The offender stabbed Mary at least 27 times according to the autopsy report. 13 of those injuries were in the chest. Eight were concentrated around her neck. Mary showed signs of fighting back.

The autopsy noted there were no signs of sexual assault. 

The Investigation:
Law enforcement began looking into Mary’s life. They started with her three ex-husbands. Her first husband was a man named Ricky Tidwell. The two were married on June 2nd, 1979--when Mary was 16. They divorced the following year.

Mary’s father David said he’d seen him driving near Mary’s house not long before she was killed. Ricky--however--was out of town when Mary was killed. 

In late August of 1980, Mary married her second husband--Tim Allen. Tim adopted Kira and he and Mary had Amber. The relationship was plagued with abuse. By 1986, the two filed for divorce. 

The girls spent every other weekend with Tim and his new wife. According to Kira, even with the divorce, the relationship between Tim and Mary wasn’t great. She remembers one particular incident within weeks of her mother’s murder. Kira said she came into the kitchen to see her mother backed into a corner by Tim. That's when Mary removed an icepick from the freezer and stabbed Tim in the wrist. 

Police also looked into Mary’s most recent husband--Stan. He had a rock solid alibi. Why? He was in jail the night/morning of Mary’s murder. 

But of course, they investigated the man who was with Mary last. Randy Benson.

None of these men seemed to lead to direct answers. The police called in help from the county and eventually the state.

According to her mother Elizabeth, Mary was very attractive and caught the attention of everyone who met her. Men who frequented the bar were questioned. But again, it led nowhere. 

25-year-old Mary Pewitt was killed sometime after she returned home after midnight on June 4th, 1988. Her house was located on 10th Street in Comanche, Oklahoma. There is no shortage of suspicious characters in this case. We are looking for any information on the case. Her daughter Kira is doing a wonderful job making noise and trying to get answers, and we want the Murder Squad to help her.

If you have any information, please contact us.


1. Do not name names publicly. Send everything to the police or to this page and we will forward to the police. 
2. Do not post side by side photos.
3. Do not contact any family members. 
4. Do not doxx each other and be civil. We all want the same thing. 

As tips come in, Jensen and Holes will work to verify them. If they look good, we will publish them here to try and get us closer to their names.