Episode 118

Jennifer and Adrianna Missing

November 29, 2021   Tags: ,
Apple Podcasts
21-year-old Jennifer Wix’s family last spoke to her on Thursday, March 25th, 2004, sometime in the afternoon. According to her boyfriend at the time, Jennifer and her two-year-old daughter off at a local gas station in Cross Plains, Tennessee. No one at the gas station saw them and they haven't been seen in over 17 years. 

Before the Disappearance: 
21-year-old Jennifer Wix is the oldest of her mom Kathy’s three daughters. They were all very close. Her sister Casey described Jennifer as quiet and strong-willed. When Jennifer gave birth to her daughter Adrianna in January 2002, everyone was supportive.

While Jennifer's mother Kathy was living in Vegas in 2003, Jennifer met a new boyfriend--Joey Benton. 

The two had an off and on again relationship. In September 2003, Kathy received a frantic phone call from Jennifer. She allegedly told her mother that Joey had threatened to harm himself, Jennifer and Adrianna. Jennifer went to stay with her Grandmother Wix after this, but did not file a police report. 

Kathy decided to move her and Casey back home to Tennessee to be closer to Jennifer. When Kathy got to Tennessee, Jennifer and Adrianna moved in with her. At the time she and Joey were no longer together. This changed sometime in November of 2003. But Kathy made it clear he was not allowed in her home. 

On December 21st, 2003, Joey came to the house. Jennifer decided that she and Adrianna were going to move in with Joey. Kathy did not want it to happen. According to Jennifer’s sister Casey, arguing ensued. At fifteen years old, she took her niece to a back bedroom and called 911. We were able to talk to Casey that day.

At this time, Jennifer, Adrianna and Joey lived in what was called the “barn” on the Benton family’s property. Casey says it was more of a shed. There was a bed, a couch, a television, and a space heater. But it didn’t have running water. If they wanted to use the bathroom or take a shower, they had to go inside Joey’s parents home. 

A few weeks before their disappearance, Jennifer, Joey and Adrianna had moved into Joey’s parents' home. It wasn’t warm enough to stay in their “barn” anymore. The house was set up for Joey and Jennifer to have a room, Adrianna to have her own room, and then Joey’s parents had a bedroom. Jennifer was beginning to sleep train the two-year-old when she became sick. 

On the evening of March 22nd, 2004, Jennifer called her mother Kathy. Adrianna was running a fever and said it hurt to use the bathroom. Kahty told Jennifer to take the baby to the emergency room. But Jennifer didn’t have a car, so she had to rely on Joey and his family. She told her mom that no one would take her. Ultimately her aunt took Jennifer and the baby to the hospital. 

They were kept there overnight while tests were run. Before they were released the treating physician told Jennifer and her aunt that it appeared Adrianna had an infection usually only seen in sexually active adult female patients. 

Her aunt returned her and the baby back to Joey’s house. Jennifer called her mom and told her about the ER visit. Her mom encouraged her to take her for a follow up appointment to the pediatrician. Jennifer agreed and later that day her grandmother took her to the appointment. The pediatrician said the rash and infection could be related to being in a wet diaper for an extended period of time.

After Jennifer was back at Joey’s home, she called Kathy and asked her to make what is known as butt butter for the rash. Kathy agreed. Kathy met Joey, Jennifer and Adrianna in the parking lot of a local pharmacy that evening. According to Kathy, Adrianna didn’t look good and she wanted to go with her grandmother. Kathy told her that maybe they could see each other that weekend. She buckled her in the car seat and said goodbye to her daughter and granddaughter. 

Kathy didn’t hear from Jennifer until the following evening. Around 9 PM Jennifer called, she was upset. She told her mom that Joey’s mom was yelling at her because Adrianna wouldn’t quit crying and her son was acting like a dad to a child that wasn’t his. Kathy could hear yelling and Adrianna crying.

The last time they were seen/spoken to:
Jennifer spoke to her aunt and father on the Thursday, March 25th, 2004. Her father reportedly heard a woman in the background. Her aunt left her a key at the house in case Jennifer wanted to stay there. But no one in her family heard from Jennifer again. 

Her boyfriend Joey had been working construction that week with Jennifer’s cousin in Franklin County, Kentucky. The two had been carpooling because Joey’s truck was in the shop. On Thursday, March 25th, while on the job Joey received a phone call. According to reports, he told his supervisor he had to leave for a family emergency. Jennifer’s cousin drove him home sometime after noon. 

The rest of the timeline before Jennifer and Adrianna’s disappearance is as reported by Joey Benton’s statement to the family and the police. His statement changed with additional details over many different conversations, but ultimately this was Joey’s account.

Around 9 PM, he took Jennifer and Adrianna to the Food Value in Cross Plains.  He said Jennifer went inside to use the phone since she didn’t have her own. When she returned to the car, she asked him to take her to the Exxon at exit 112 on interstate I-65. Joey said they waited ten minutes for another car to arrive. 

He described the car as an older, four door, white vehicle. According to what he told Kathy, the car pulled up next to them. Jennifer and Adrianna got out and entered the backseat of the other car. He couldn’t tell how many people were in the car or who they were. 

Joey said Jennifer came by the house without Adrianna the next day. She asked him for her tax refund money. Jennifer didn’t have a bank account, so her refund had been deposited in the family checking account. Joey told Jennifer she’d have to come back because his parents weren’t home to give her the money. 

Searching for Jennifer and Adrianna:
Law enforcement did try to verify the drop at the Exxon with surveillance footage. But the gas station recorded over their footage every twenty four hours. So there was no footage to view. Jennifer’s mom Kathy went the next step and spoke to the woman who was working during this time. 

The cashier knew Jennifer. She told her mom she didn't see her or the baby that night. The cashier was also certain if Jennifer had been there, she would have said hi. 

Then Jennifer’s family and law enforcement tried to verify the phone call made at the Food Value before the supposed Exxon drop off. The cashier said they lock the doors at 9 PM. The employee also said she had to run back in the store to grab some sodas she’d left inside. At no point did she see Jennifer, the baby or Joey. 

The manager of the store was also interviewed. He told Jennifer’s aunt that there were two phones she could have placed a call from inside the store. But the manager told her aunt that no one came inside to use the phone that night. 

Finally the bagger at the store was also interviewed. He did not see Jennifer either. 

Law enforcement attempted to do a welfare check on Jennifer and Adrianna at the Benton residence. When they arrived, Joey was home alone. He wouldn’t allow officers to enter. His parents were not home, and Joey told the officer he would need a warrant to enter their home. 

They returned the next day. The officer noted he didn't see any guns, despite being told they were present. But, this was a welfare check not a search. Law enforcement was trying to find Jennifer and Adrianna, not searching the home. 

The case remained a missing persons file until 2013. At that time Bill Holt was elected as the new sheriff of Robertson County. He vowed to solve Jennifer’s case, and reclassifies it as a homicide. He also brought in the TBI for help.

According to law enforcement, they had searched the Benton property four times at this point. The searches included draining a pond. 

There was an additional search just a few months ago. Something was found on the search, but the details of the item or items is unknown. 

Currently no one has seen or heard from Jennifer or Adrianna. 

21-year-old Jennifer Wix’s family last spoke to her on Thursday, March 25th, 2004, sometime in the afternoon. Based on the additional lack of witnesses, it’s unknown what her movements were after that. She may have been at the Exxon off of Exit 112 on Interstate I-65 in Cross Plains, Tennessee, with her two year old daughter Adrianna.

At the time of her disappearance, Jennifer was 5’4” to 5’6”, 125 to 135 pounds. She has brown eyes and brown hair with red highlights. She wear glasses with silver, oval, wire frames. She has a tribal tattoo on her lower back. Her ears are pierced twice. 

Adrianna has brown hair and blue-green eyes. Adrianna also has a birthmark on the front of her upper right thigh. She also went by the nickname “Nina.”

If you have any information, please contact us or the Robertson County Sheriff’s Office.


1. Do not name names publicly. Send everything to the police or to this page and we will forward to the police. 
2. Do not post side by side photos.
3. Do not contact any family members. 
4. Do not doxx each other and be civil. We all want the same thing. 

As tips come in, Jensen and Holes will work to verify them. If they look good, we will publish them here to try and get us closer to their names.